Sunday 3 March 2013

Vegan cinnamon and pear maple French Toast


Oh yeah that's what I said...

I think one of my favourite parts of the weekend is being able to have a proper cooked breakfast preferably while sitting in my consevatory watching the squirrels play in the garden and listening to some old records...bliss! As a vegan its a bit tricky to think of things that you can whip up to have as a hot breakfast and I must admit when I was vegetarian one of my favourite breakfasts was something I ate a lot of when I used to go camping as a child with the Woodcraft Folk which is eggy bread (French Toast if your american or posh) I used to have one slice with nutella and one with cinnamon sugar.

I've been craving this recently and decided to make a vegan version - I think this recipe combines pretty much all of my favourite sweet flavours, hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

You will need;

1 carton of silken tofu
1/2 cup almond milk
2 Tbsp maple syrup
2 tsp cinnamon
pinch of salt
2 Tbsp vegetable oil
4 to 6 slices of wholegrain bread

To top;
1 pear cut into chunky slices
3 Tbsp raw cane sugar
1 Tbsp cinnamon
Raisins soaked in orange juice
maple syrup

Add the tofu, milk, maple syrup, cinnamon, salt and oil into a blender and whizz then pour the mixture into a shallow bowl or deep soup plate. Dip the slices of bread in the mixture until fully covered and heat a little oil in a pan or griddle and fry until golden and crispy. Set aside and in a seperate bowl mix up the pear slices in the cinnamon sugar and griddle until caramelised and softened. Stack your french toast up with pears, the soaked raisins and a slick of maple syrup. YUMMO!

No comments:

Post a Comment