Monday 26 August 2013

Summer vegetable minestrone soup

As much as I love fresh veg everyone gets to that stage in the month before payday where all you have left is some squishy tomatoes and a zucchini stuck to the back of your fridge, this is a perfect leftover veggie soup pretty much any veg can go in this. I pep my minestrone up with a quick homemade pesto as I always have a pot of basil going crazy in my garden.

What I used for the soup:
2 red onions, finely chopped
4 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
6 carrots, peeled and chopped into cubes
2 zucchinis/courgettes, chopped into cubes
4 ripe tomatoes, chopped
1 cup of peas
Half a cabbage
3 cups of pasta (I used baby macaroni)
1L veggie stock

For the pesto:
1 big bunch of basil
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1 clove grated garlic
Half a cup of olive oil

  • Lightly fry off the onions and garlic until soft then add the carrots and zucchinis and fry until starting to soften. 
  • Add the cabbage and tomatoes and stir then add the stock and peas and bring to the boil then add your pasta and season, simmer for appropriately 15 mins until pasta is al dente.
  • Meanwhile in a pestal and mortar mash up the basil, lemon juice and garlic and slowly add the oil until a pesto paste comes together. 
  • Once pasta is cooked serve your soup with a dollop of pesto on the top and a chunk of crusty bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment