Sunday 3 February 2013

Vegan pumpkin & chocolate brownies

Something all Veganoids have to adjust to is the overwhelming need at times for something naughty, something comfortingly cheeky then we soon realise unless we eat a whole jar of peanut butter with a spoon in our pj's it's kind of difficult to do. 

I've had a can of pumpkin knocking around in my cupboard for a while as for some reason I saw it in Tescos and pure novelty and inquisition made me buy it. A friend at work recommended a pumpkin and chocolate brownie recipe that she had tried, I always adapt recipes to suit my tastes and everyone should. So my little blighters, let us kick things off in style, here is my adaptation for these ridiculous brownies...



Stuff:
For the brownie layer
4 ounce dark chocolate, melted
1 cup canned or pureed pumpkin
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup flour
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1 tablespoon arrowroot
3 tablespoons of almond milk
1 teaspoon baking powder
pinch of salt

For the pumpkin pie layer
1 cup canned or pureed pumpkin
2 cornstarch
1/2 cup almond milk
1/3 cup sugar
2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
grating of fresh nutmeg

To decorate:
A handful of chocolate chips

How:
Preheat oven to 180C. Grease the sides of a 9 inch tin and line with baking paper.

To make the brownie layer:
Melt the chocolate and leave to cool. In a mixing bowl chuck together the pumpkin, sugar, oil and vanilla. Sift in the flour, cocoa powder, arrowroot, baking soda and salt and stir, then mix in the melted chocolate and add the almond milk.

To make the pumpkin layer:
Mix all the ingredients in a bowl until combined.

To assemble:
Use a spatula to spread the brownie layer into the prepared baking pan, taking care to bring the batter to the edges of the pan. Pour the pumpkin layer over it.

Cook: 
Bake for 30 minutes, until the pumpkin layer looks fairly firm (a little wobble is okay but if its crazy wobbly pop it back in for a couple more mins). Cool for 20 minutes and then stick it in the fridge to set for at least an hour and a half. Once set, decorate with chocolate chips and munch that mo'fo (preferably washed down with some cider which is how I am eating it and I recommend this combination highly).

It's a very English thing to say "oh I shouldn't" "I really musn't" and my answer is you must and at hast dear fellow as these brownies are very good indeed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment